Addleheading For Life

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Breast Cancer Awarness Does Not Equal Buying a Dyson Vacuum or Cookware

All right, I'm sure you guys are well aware that October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. It's pretty much impossible to go anywhere without seeing pink. If you've missed the fact that October is Breast Cancer month, you should probably get out of bed. And so it seems inevitable that I should blog about it, for many reasons.
So, as I'm sure all of you know I lost my Mom to Breast Cancer a couple years ago, so I don't need October to be aware of Breast Cancer. I am aware of Breast Cancer all the lovely 12 months of the year. Every month is Breast Cancer Awareness month to me. I, as you might imagine, am a strong advocate for Breast Cancer Research. I am a strong supporter of awareness and women going to get mammograms and all that fun stuff.
I am. And I've stats to back that up...My Grandma also had breast cancer. And so did my Grandpa. Yeah, my Grandpa was part of the small minority of men that get breast cancer. Both my grandparents survived their bouts with the disease and my mom fought it off for 12 years.
And the answer to your question is: Yes, my family the most hardcore family in the world. It's just how we roll. My family are Breast Cancer superheros.
So I would pretty much give a lung for their to be a cure and I would have given my my friggin' heart for there to have been a cure 12 years ago. Believe that.
And I'm pretty sure there isn't anyone out there who doesn't support Breast Cancer Research/Awareness because quite frankly, I don't think there's anyone out there who hasn't been touched in some way by the disease. And if you haven't...you're damn lucky. I would say if you don't support Breast Cancer awareness...you're a terrorist, but I'm pretty sure even terrorists support Breast Cancer awareness. Seriously, in a terrorist training camp video I saw on the news at least 5 of the jihadists were wearing pink ribbons.
All right. Having said all that...here's the part that might get me into trouble:
I think the commercialization of Breast Cancer Awareness Month is ridiculous.

Ridiculous.

I was in Target yesterday and I saw a display of pink cook-ware that you could buy and a portion of the proceeds would go to whatever Breast Cancer organization. Cook-ware!! Literally it was a display of pink-handled skillets, pink plastic spoons, pink bowls, ect. "That's really stupid." I thought. So I kept walking. And that's when I saw it:
Pink Dyson Vacuums with a big old pink ribbon printed on the box.
Ridiculous.
Ok. I'm sitting here trying to tell myself, "A portion of the proceeds benefit Breast Cancer organizations." But it's not working.
Dyson, my mom didn't die so you could sell vacuums.
I think it's really shitty that in October products everywhere get made over in pink. And they're made over in pink so that they will sell. Because what better way to assuage some of that shopper's guilt for buying unnecessary crap than to slap a pink ribbon across it?
It's so sadly American.
JANE: I support Breast Cancer Awareness!
CARL: Really, how?
JANE: I just bought this pink Dyson Vacuum cleaner. It doesn't lose suction you know!
CARL: I've heard that, that's amazing. Hey, did I show you my new pink cookware?
JANE: No you didn't.
CARL: They're practical and make a statement! They say, "I support Breast Cancer Awareness."
JANE: And how!

I'm not saying I know the right way to support Breast Cancer Awareness. Because I don't. I suppose it's different for different people so maybe I shouldn't be knocking pink vacuums.
But damn.
Maybe it's just because I am acutely aware of Breast Cancer 12 months out of the year that it's sort of insulting to me to see pink vacuums and other products inundate shelves for Breast Cancer Awareness Month!!! Let's all be really aware and buy pink things!!
Puh-lease.






Anyway. In much other news...
My contacts have arrived!!!!!

Very soon I will no longer look like Harry Potter...

...I will look like Harry Potter sans specs. I will look like Harry Potter who got Lasik.


Also, I am very classy. I bought a new puffy vest for fall/winter and wore it around today with the tag still on it. C-L-A-S-S-Y. Spells Classy. And that's what I am.

No comments: