Addleheading For Life

Thursday, March 06, 2008

Things I Don't Understand Episode #2







Here it is:


My reaction to this video:


So you're probably thinking right now: "Amy what the heck brought you to youtube "Total Eclipse of the Heart"?
And rightfully so.
Basically, I mentioned to my friend, Ariana, that I watched the lunar eclipse that took place a couple weeks ago. She in turn brought up the song, "Total Eclipse of the Heart."
In bringing it up, the song stuck itself in my head for like 3 days.
But I couldn't remember all of it.
Pretty much, this was what was happening in my head:


So it became necessary to youtube the song (clearly) so as to get it ACCURATELY stuck in my head.
That is when I discovered the insanity that is this video.
Ok. So I sent the video to Ariana first and here is what she had to say...
ARIANA: WOW. wow. That is more 80's than the actual 80's, as if that were possible. I am in shock and awe. Mostly shock, a little awe. Also, i feel like if i ever did do hallucinogenic drugs, that might be close to something I'd experience. wow. wow. Verdict? amazing, but preferably after a beer or four.

I realized that I should probably send the video off to more of my friends to see what they thought about this video because it might just make the best blog post ever. If you would like to post your thoughts on the video, I would encourage you to do so in the comments section. Please. Any light you could possibly shed on this mystery would be greatly appreciated. Anyway, here is what some friends had to say. I sent it to them and asked them what was going on in the video and why there were ninjas, football players, and people with glowing eyes. Here is what they had to say:

Sara and Meghan both pooped out and didn't even watch the entire video...
SARA: i couldn't even watch all of it it was so bad. when you said all that stuff, i didn't expect it to be a crappy 80's music
video. maybe i should have...

MEGHAN: I'd let you know if I could get through the first 20 seconds without turning it off. hahaha.

The following were some reactions taken WHILE the viewer watched the video...
DAVID: (When the table turns over) Dinner is over! Done. Hope you liked it cause it's over now. (When winged creature gives her a hug) Aw, Jesus loves you. (When boys are dancing and jumping around shirtless) Oh. That's kind of hot.

CARLY: (Like trying to solve pictionary) It's...looking at your past...your past...high school...she's looking at his past...it's like high school...the past...[ME INTERJECTING: And ninjas?! WHY are there ninjas?!] Clearly they're ballet ninjas.

BART: Oh...hello boys...(later)...hello boys...(later)mmm...boys...wow...this is very...(whispers) homoerotic...the director of this video was very...wow...I don't even think she knew what was going on...

STEVE: So, in the 80s cocaine had completely taken over Hollywood. And people made bad artistic choices...(Later when it gets to the part of the altar boys with glowing eyes)...So the director is probably European...(The one altar boys flies towards the camera)...Probably Dutch.

These are some reactions after seeing the video...
CARLY: I just think she's a little pre vert (yes, said like "pre" and then "vert") and likes to be with little boys.

JEFF: I would love to sit down with you and explain the intricacies involved in the video, but that is dependent on two things: 1-Finding a time to do so and 2-Me knowing what the hell is going on in the video. Unfortunately, it just doesn't make sense. Although, the glowing eyed people could be the "Bright Eyes" that should be turning around, and when the ninjas were ninja-ing, the lyric was about being kept safe. So maybe being kept safe from ninjas? But I don't know about the football players.

CARLY: I think they kept hiring different directors but sticking with the ideas of past directors. So one guy was like, "I think it should be all football players." And then the next guy came in was like, "Ninjas! I want ninjas!"

JEFF: I grew up in that era. I grew up in the 80s. I grew up when that song was huge and I grew up watching music videos when music video stations actually PLAYED music videos..And I have no idea what the fuck is going on in that video.

ELLE: That's weird.

SEHAJ: Dude, she's a pedophile! And...I can't explain the rest. The fencing and ninjas confuse me.

Ok. Now here is what Chicken had to say...
Before she saw it...
ME: Audra, this video is so hilarious and weird.
AUDRA: Well I'm sure I've seen it before.
Audra starts to watch it and laughs...
AUDRA: No. I've never seen this before.
After the video was over...
ME: Your thoughts Chicken??
AUDRA: ...wow...I'm sure it might have a meaning...cause I don't know if all that stuff is her going crazy because she's heart broken...I just...yeah...I don't know.
Later...
AUDRA: It totally reminded me of Meatloaf.
And still later...
AUDRA: (Like actually trying to explain it to me) So, I think it's about her being heartbroken and the boys in the video represent him in some way and the other things in the video like the football players and ninjas represent obstacles-
ME: NINJAS, CHICKEN?!?! NINJAS?!!
(Audra begins to laugh hysterically)

Does anyone know what this video means?
Bonnie Tyler...do you read this blog?? (Duh, everyone reads this blog) Will you please tell me what the hell is going on in your video. Me and a bunch of my friends are confused.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

Conversation via AIM. We were talking about nicknames...
ME: I have a lot of nicknames.
ARIANA:shows character!
ARIANA: like a scar, only less ugly
ARIANA:(usually, unless your nickname is 'tramp' or something awkward. shut up,
ariana.)

So, my Dad has a band. And I was home the other day while they were practicing. So this guy in band, Todd, comes upstairs and is leaving for the day...
TODD: Sorry to have to put you through that.
ME: Oh no. You guys sound really good.
TODD: Yeah, well it sounds like a midlife crisis to me.

No comments: