Addleheading For Life

Friday, October 13, 2006

Yeah, It's A Word

So "AddleHead" is the name I use to post to this site. I have to admit, before yesterday I did not even know this word existed. I probably could have made an intelligent guess as to its meaning but if someone had said the world "Addlehead" to me I would probably have said to them, "Quit making shit up you bamblesquat!" And yeah, I just made the word "bamblesquat" up. It's not a real word. In fact, just to make sure...I just looked it up on dictionary.com and they told me no result was found and asked me if I meant "bomb squad."
But I digress. The word "addlehead" is in an actual word and if you don't believe me you should go ask your friend Mr. Webster sitting over there on your shelf. And if you don't find it there...oh well. Dictionary.com told me it was a word so it must be true. You should always believe everything the internet tells you. Right now you may be asking yourself..."Well Amy, (that's my "real" name, my "street" name if you will) if you didn't know the word "addlehead" existed how ever did you come to use it as your posting name?"

I am so glad you asked.

It just happens to be the most interesting story ever.

"........It all started when I wanted to get a blog (A NOTE: It really helps, if for this story you imagine me as really old and sitting in a rocking chair in my "housecoat" with ten cats at my feet and knitting in my lap). I felt a lot of pressure to come up with a good name both for the blog itself and for myself to post to said blog. I slept on it for days and even visited the mountains of Gegestu (more on that later) to seek the advice of an old sage living in the highest treetops of the highest mountains there. (In Gegestu their mountains are a little unimpressive. They're pretty much over-rated hills so it only took me like half an hour to climb the highest mountain and seek the advice of the sage.)
ANYWAY.
I realized in a moment of blissful epiphany that one of my most favorite things to do is to be a smart ass. So I was trying to come up with clever names to highlight this fact without directly naming myself SmartAss10 or something. Here is a short list of things I came up with:

CleverDonkey
IntelligentMule
ListoBurro
BrightDickey
WiseStubburnAndLessAttractiveMemeberOfTheEquineFamily

None of them had the right ring though. I consulted the Thesaurus (a type of book giving synonyms for other words, not a type of dinosaur) and looked up different words for "smart." Then I looked up different words for "ass" it was here that I stumbled across the words "addlebrain" "addlehead" and "addlepate." And after much deliberation I decided that "addlehead" meaning a person with confused ideas and incapable of serious thought pretty much described me and what I hoped to accomplish with this blog to a T.
So there you have it. Now I remember this other time that I went streaking-"

Sorry, my imagined old lady self seems to have nodded off in the middle of sentence.

2 comments:

skinnylittleblonde said...

Great Word!
I love it & what a great start to this wonderful blog!
You, my dear, are a crazy & creative little beast...armed with cats & a thesaurus....readers beware! LOL

Anne said...

That Skinnylittleblonde is great, isn't she? I wish i were more creative with names. How about Bigfatbrunette? Nah, that sucks. Easy to remember, though... Hey, i am reorganizing and will change my web address soon. I'll tell you when it's ready so you can come see me if you want to.