Addleheading For Life

Monday, April 14, 2008

Dad After College

So I went to the studio today after working at the box office to stop in and say hi to my boss, Mrs. Yueill.
While there I had quite an extensive conversation with a four year old girl.
We talked about the fact that I attend college.
We talked about what one does in college.
We talked about the color of the car I drive (duh).
I told her that college comes after high school and that, yes, I had been to high school already.
She asked me how long it takes for me to get to school when I drive.
I told her an hour.
Then she looked up at me and said, "So after college are you going to be a Dad?"

...Now...
Kids mistake me for a boy all the time. They'll use the pronouns, "he" and "him" when referring to me.
Or, some will straight out ask, "Are you a boy or are you a girl?"
It does not bother me in the least.
In fact, I find their honestly and ability to be totally nonjudgmental really refreshing.
It comes with the territory of having short hair and no boobs. I don't have the signals that typically ready, "WOMAN." I have the signals that read, "PRE-PUBESCENT BOY". I get it. It's ok. I've come to accept this and love this about myself. That, and I really don't know what I would do with boobs if I had them. Let's be honest, they would throw off my very center of gravity.
So, yeah...I get mistaken for a boy fairly often.
Mostly by kids but occasionally by a gas station attendant, waiter or what have you.
Most adults mistake me in a quick glance and then instantly realize their mistake.
What usually follows is awkward.
Ok, disclaimer to all the gas station attendants, waiters and what have you who read this blog (duh, everyone reads this blog) and could potentially mistake me for a boy: When I say, "it's fine." I really mean it. There is no need to continue to apologize profusely. Mistaking me for a boy didn't bother me, in fact it's kinda funny to me. But now you are starting to bother me by continuing to draw attention to the fact.

ANYWAY.

All this to say...being asked if I would be a Dad after college is the first time I've been so completely and totally mistaken to be a boy. It's more interesting to me than anything else. This little girl read me so much as "male" that she asked me if I would be a DAD.
I don't remember what I said in response. But I didn't correct her. I did not say, "No, but maybe I'll be a Mommy." For so many reasons:
a) I love love love kids. But I am in no place in my life to even begin to fathom in the slightest sliver of a thought the idea of having my own children. So, to be fair, even if she asked "Will you be a Mommy after college?" I still would be weirded out.
b) I did not want to embarrass her.
c) I really really worry sometimes working with kids. Sweet and innocent as the kids are, you never know how the parents are. And I worry sometimes about how parents will react to me messing with their childs preception of gender. I worry about how parents will react to, someone that could be seen as clearly gay (me), teaching their children. So, in this instance, I played the part and let her continue to think I was a boy because THAT was the SAFEST option. Isn't that weird?? Is it wrong?? I don't know.

Whatever. I'm probably over thinking it.

It's kinda strange for me. I don't think about my "gender" very often. I move about the world in a way that's comfortable for me and don't really think twice about how people see me or what sort of image I'm giving off. But it's times like these I'm sort of forced to stop and take a look. And not that's a bad thing. It's just interesting.

Oh gender!! I may never be able to wrap my brain around you.

But I should probably also mention that the little girl who asked me this question was the same little girl who told me when I asked her what she wanted to be when she grew up that she did not want to work. When I said, "Hey, that sounds like a good idea to me. What do you want to do, just play all day?" She shook her head and said no. "I won't work so I can take care of my kids!"
She was four.
So...with this in mind it is quite possible she was maybe looking to make me her husband??
I flatter myself.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"So...with this in mind it is quite possible she was maybe looking to make me her husband??
I flatter myself."

best post yet.

Anonymous said...

Hysterical....it's been a long time since you've posted some kid stories. Loved it!

Anonymous said...

I can relate to the portion of the post about how much information to share with children. Being a teacher, sometimes I don't separate my own ideals and opinions when maybe I should. And then I sit and wonder what's going to be said when the child goes home to tell his or her parents about their day.

On the other hand, I feel that if I *don't* occasionally share some of what makes me tick, I'm not doing my job to help the child become better well rounded about the world around them.

And yes, this varies by subject.

It's a difficult spot to be in when there is so much you want to share, but you just have a strong feeling that by sharing it, it may just lead to a larger issue.

As long as you can give an answer that you feel comfortable with without compromising your true feelings about a topic, that's generally the best way to go.