Addleheading For Life

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Ok. Seriously?

So I'm waiting for the bus this morning at Clark and Devon, right? I'm on my way to school, so I got my backpack and stuff. So this Asian lady walks up to the bus stop. She stands right next to me and out of nowhere goes:
ASIAN LADY: You go to school?
ME: (I smile) Yeah, I'm on my way there now.
ASIAN LADY: (Nodding) Oh. What high school?
ME: Oh, actually I go to Loyola University. It's just right down Devon.
ASIAN LADY: Oh. You young.

Once again...I got a long way to go until I'm 40 and enjoy getting told I look young. Right now, getting mistaken for a high schooler is not on my list of things to do.

Also, on the bus today I became best friends with a scary looking old lady. She was wearing a babushka and had painted on eyebrows and long reddish-dyed hair. When I got on the bus it was a little crowded so I was standing and someone was sitting next to the old lady. Well, a bunch of people got off including the person sitting next to her, and there was still maybe one other person standing and since I didn't have far to go, I remained standing too.

But then the old lady starts beckoning me to sit next to her. At first I try to pretend I don't see her, because she's missing some teeth and might be in turn missing s few marbles. But she beckons me again and I clearly see her this time, so what am I supposed to do?
Say, "No, I don't want to sit next to you." to an old lady? And I thought about it and could see my Grandpa doing something like this too, so I decided to go sit next to her.
So I sit down.
ME: Thank you.
OLD LADY WITH PAINTED EYEBROWS: Lovely day isn't it?
ME: Oh it's gorgeous out.
OLD LADY WITH PAINTED EYEBROWS: Have you seen the Red Eye? (Showing me Red Eye)
ME: Uh, no.
OLD LADY WITH PAINTED EYEBROWS: Would you like to look at it? (Giving it to me)
ME: Oh, uh...sure. Thank you.
(I start to glance through it to be polite)
OLD LADY WITH PAINTED EYEBROWS: I just looked at the pictures. I don't have my glasses so I can't read it. You know, my reading glasses? I didn't forget them they're just broken. And you know how you put things off that you should do?
ME: Oh, sure.
OLD LADY WITH PAINTED EYEBROWS: Well I've been putting off getting them fixed. All I have to go is take them to the Walgreen’s right by my house and get them fixed. I don't even have to take them to the doctor or anything. All it is is a little screw, but I keep putting it off. So I can't read the Red Eye.
ME: Oh. Yeah. I put things off like that sometimes too.
(Pause. I look through the Red Eye some more)
OLD LADY WITH PAINTED EYEBROWS: You can keep that.
ME: Oh, thanks.
OLD LADY WITH PAINTED EYEBROWS: Yeah I don't want to carry it with me to the doctor's.
ME: Oh, ok. Thanks.
(Silence. I look through it some more. It's my stop)
ME: Bye. Have a good day.
OLD LADY WITH PAINTED EYEBROWS: Have a good day!

Oh, me and the old lady with painted eyebrows are BFFs. Or maybe she was hitting on me. I was looking super hot this morning in my tank top and cargo shorts and disheveled hair.

QUOTE OF THE DAY
(Poster seen on the back of a bus)
POSTER: Syphilis is back. When was your last test?

No comments: