Addleheading For Life

Saturday, September 22, 2007

In Love...AGAIN/I Should Get A Dog/Men of Steel

So, I am in love with this song:



It's from the movie Once. Maybe I should see it.

So I'm thinking instead of getting hung up on getting a girlfriend...I should just get a dog.

That sounds way more horrible than I meant it to sound.

But I stopped by my house and saw my dog, Molly, today and she just about turned black flips she was so happy to see me. When she wags her tail, she's so little that her entire body shakes and it is just about the cutest thing ever. It's just really nice to go home and have her be like, "OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU'RE HOME!!!!! SIT DOWN RIGHT NOW!! I HAVE TO JUMP ALL OVER YOU AND TELL YOU ALL ABOUT THIS SQUIRREL I SAW THE OTHER DAY!!!! AHHHHHH!!! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! YOU'RE HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PET ME! PET ME! PET ME! PET ME!!!! SCRATCH MY BELLY! BELLY! BELLY!!! YOU'RE HOME!! YOU'RE HOME!! I LOVE YOU!!! I LOVE YOU!!! I LOVE YOU!!! I HAVE TO LICK YOUR FACE!!! LET ME LICK YOUR FACE!! (Ok, disclaimer: I don't really like it when she licks my face. It's a little gross. Her breath is bad. But still.) OMG!!! YOU'RE HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Haha.
I love my dog.
And you know what?
My dog loves me.
Aw.
We're cute.
Haha...all the scary right-wing nuts who don't want gay marriage always defend their position by saying "If we allow gays to marry, why then people will be wanting to marry their DOGS or other animals!!"
Well right-wingers, you were right...I want to marry my dog. How do you like them apples??

So I saw this show called Men of Steel last night. It was a Theatre Wit production at The Theatre Building.
OK. Know how popular all those comic-book action movie are? This show attempted to put that onstage with a more synthesized message. It was rather ambitious. The scenic design was ingenious (when it worked), sound and lights were also fabulous. Costumes were pretty cool too.
It was hard to tell though if I was supposed to totally buy into the "comic book" world or not...because there were moments where I was completely and totally taken out of it. And I realize that certain things can just not be done on the stage...like...slow motion blackflips. And they solved the problem by putting stagehands all in black head to toe and then they helped the person slow-motion flip over backwards. Which was cool. And paired with well timed and lights and sound, looked awesome. BUT it also came across as kind of funny. And I was sure if it was supposed to be. A lot of moments were like that. Where I wasn't sure if it was meant to be funny or if I should laugh or not.
The acting was pretty good too. The fight scenes were pretty sweet, well choerographed. Parts of the show were actually very violent. I mean not just like superhero punching the bad guy "pow", but disturbing violence. Which is kind of...well...disturbing to see onstage, right in front of you.
I think probably what needs the most work is the script. I think some parts could be cut, some parts could use some clearing up. I would rework some scenes, and switch around some scenes. The other thing about the text...it beat me over the head with the point of the play. Literally. It was as if they took Captain Justice's Justice Sheild and beat me over the head with the point of the show. Which I think is a mistake if you're doing a piece comic-book style piece. Comic-books communicate through art and action. They ain't spouting shit off in a comic-book. Speech bubbles are only so big you know. And the dialouge was also really simple-like-beat-you-over-the-head. Case and point, when one character said, "I am humanity." Thanks. I got it. You didn't have to tell me. You should never treat the audience like they're stupid, and not thats what this show did, I just think they wanted to make sure we REALLY got. Well, mission accomplished. I REALLY got it. I got it so much I didn't even have to think about it. Which, may be the point, but I think theatre should make you think, not do all the thinking for you. I think the show had a lot of potential. Potential to be really smart, potential to be a fabulous achievement on what can be accomplished onstage in a relatively small space. It's not quite there yet. Parts were still fun to watch. The set was cool enough for me to want to get up and run around it for a while (think fire poles, platforms to jump off of, scaffolding to climb, ladders...SUPER FUN).
At any rate...it's sweet that I'm seeing all this theatre.
I just bought tickets for The Sparrow and I'm absolutely giddy with excitement about going to see it. AHHH!!! The Sparrow! I've wanted to see it for forever.
Anyway.

Me and David are working in the box office now listening/singing RENT...
...gay.

No comments: