Addleheading For Life

Monday, February 11, 2008

Juno/Why I Love My Gay Boyfriend, Erika

So I finally saw Juno.

It was pretty brillant.
You don't see many comedies with a female lead/heroine. Usually in comedies the female is the sidekick or a secondary character...not so here. This movie totally kicks ass. And I can think of no more articulate or eloquent way to say that other than it totally kicks ass. You should really see it. It is one of the most well-written films I've seen in a while. And it is damn funny. Damn funny. Ellen Page delivers some of the best one-liners I've heard. It was so great to see a comedic movie that's doesn't rely on lame sex jokes or druken debauchery or bodily harm to get laughs. I am so happy Ellen Page got the Oscar nomination, because she's absolutely fabulous. I didn't like Superbad, but I still like Michael Cera, and he's very good in the movie as well. All the characters are really great, actually. That's really something special when even the minor characters are memorable. Like, Juno's little step sister. She doesn't even have any damn lines and I remember her, because in one of the beginning scenes she won't stop putting Baco bits on her potato.
Uh. This movie was just good. It's kinda sad that well-written, well-performed, and well-directed movies like this are such a rarity. But I guess that makes them all the more awesome when the come up.
So good.
See it.


REASONS WHY I LOVE MY GAY BOYFRIEND, DAVID:

Ok, I really wish I could post it here...I pretty much exhausted every option...nothing worked. So I instead must rely on my writing skills to describe it to you...
David sent me an Valentine's Day e-card.
An e-card from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
A Valentine's Day e-card from Mormons.
How awesome is that?
So I open up the card, and it says "Happy Valentine's Day."
There is a picture of an elderly, white, heterosexual couple walking down a path through an autumn forest. Well, at least the man is walking...the woman is in a wheelchair that is being pushed by the man. She is wearing white pants, a blue sweater, and white tennis shoes (so old). Both are looking off happily into the distant forest, as if nothing could be better than being Mormon, being in/pushing a wheelchair, and walking through an autumn forest.
Now, in the portion that David wrote...here is what it said (I should note that before I relate this portion, David calls me "Kyle" and I call him "Erika." Don't ask why it would take far too long to explain. Mayhaps that is a post for another day):
"Um...Erika...could you push a little faster"
"Shut up Kyle...I just had my hip replaced"
"Oh look a squirrel...can we keep him Erika?!"
"The home won't let us Kyle!"
...This might be the best Valentine I've ever received. Next time I see you, if I have access to a computer, ask me to show it to you because it might be one of those, "you kind of have to see it" sorta things.
Oh, David...my funny Valentine.
*Sigh*
We are so going to be in a retirement home together one day. And he will be pushing my wheelchair around an autumn forest.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

MEGHAN: Oh, I know,how about jump your bones?
I love that my BFF used the phrase "jump your bones" of all the things I've heard and thought I'd hear her say..."jumping bones" was not one of them. Love it.

(From the movie Juno)
JUNO: (To a small barking dog)God, Banana! Shut your freakin' gob!
I don't know why I found this so funny, but I bursted out laughing, and was pretty much the only one in the theatre doing so. I am awesome.

JUNO: You should've gone to China, you know, 'cause I hear they give away babies like free iPods. You know, they pretty much just put them in those t-shirt guns and shoot them out at sporting events.
OK, really the entire script could just be one big quote of the day...but here's one more that sent me over the edge...

JUNO: That's good, I heard this one chick took like too many behavioral meds and she went to the mall, ripped off all her clothes, dived into the fountain and was all like "Bla! I AM A KRAKKEN FROM THE SEA!"

P.S. I don't have access to my camera but if I did a weather report for today it would consist of the following:
Me, in bed, wrapped in a crapload of blankets, snuggled up with my giant dog bear...
"Here's the weather report for Chicago...It's COLD!"
It is really, really cold. I can deal with snow and ice and freezing rain...but I have a really hard time with bitter cold. It's pretty dang bitter. So, to my Chicago readers: be safe, stay warm.

No comments: