Addleheading For Life

Saturday, November 03, 2007

"Over Zealous" Is My Middle Name

So I was a tad over zealous while getting dressed this morning.
It was cold.
But certainly not cold enough to justify a t-shirt, a long sleeve shirt, a thermal shirt, a hooded sweatshirt, a puffy vest, and a pair of pj bottoms under my jeans.
But for whatever reason, since I would be walking to the train station and waiting for on train platforms it seemed necessary to dress as if I was leading a Siberian expedition with Huskies. MUSH!
I am so not hardcore.
It's not "cold" at all. Most Chicagoians wash their damn cars in this sort of weather.
Well, it is cold I guess. I mean...I finally relented and turned on my heat for the first time last night.
So when I was walking to the train today I found a dollar.
No, really...I found a dollar.
That wasn't just the classic, "And then I found a dollar" line-to-attempt-to-salvage-a-crappy-story.
There was actually a dollar lying on the sidewalk.
So I picked it up and put in my pocket.
3 blocks later I walked by the 7-11 and I overheard this homeless dude ask a dude going into the 7-11 for a "dollar for breakfast." I decided that dollar I found was meant for him and not me so I went back and gave it him. He said to me, "Oh wow. Thank you, sir. God bless you."
I told him, "No problem. Have a good one" as I walked away.
And then I kicked myself for telling homeless person to, "Have a good one."
I mean, I'm sure homeless people can have "a good one." Maybe this dude will have "a good one" if he can scrounge up enough money to get a half-way decent meal. Maybe this dude will have "a good one" if he can find a warm place to sleep tonight. It makes me a little sad though that these things will make his day "a good one."
I suppose it's all relative. I mean some people might think it's sad that I'll have "a good one" today if no one gives me shit because they can't get tickets to High School Musical.
It just doesn't seem right to me. I get to go home to a nice warm bad, in a nice safe warm safe apartment, with food and plumbing.
...by the way...I'm chalking him calling me "sir" off the fact that I was in nine-million layers and that he therefore could not see my nice girlish figure.


So as I was waiting to cross the street by the 7-11, three pigeons landed near me and looked at me like they expected something. I think Gimpy has been telling all his friends about me. Now pigeons follow me and are like, "cookie crumbs?"

So I saw the girl that was at the window last week. The one with the hamster, Lazlo. She came to say hi. I asked her how Lazlo was. Lazlo is just fine.

So I listened to "So Lonely" by The Police like four times on the way to work today. I think it might be one of the best songs ever. It's a great rock-out song. Granted rocking out is hard to do when you're on a train. Even if you rock out a little, people tend to stare. But I'm used to that and it's ok with me. Especially when it comes to The Police.

QUOTE OF THE DAY
Phone rings. I answer it.
MAN: Yeah, I'd like to get tickets for High School Musical tonight.
ME: High School Musical is completely sold out.
MAN: Ok...when is the next date that tickets are available then?
ME: It's totally sold out. There are no tickets available for the remainder of the run.
MAN: Well, when I was online it wouldn't let me buy tickets.
ME: Right. Because we're completely sold out.
MAN: So you don't even have tickets for next weekend?
ME: No. It's totally sold out.
MAN: But it wouldn't let me buy tickets online. It said they weren't available.
ME: Right. You can't buy them online because it's sold out and has been for about three weeks now. There's nothing you can buy which is why nothing is available online.
MAN: Fine. Thanks.
Hangs up.
DISCLAIMER: Whenever I talk to people on the phone, I'm always as nice as possible. I realize the way it's written it could sound like I'm being nasty. I wasn't.

Re: Spring Awakening
AUDRA: So you know that song thats in like a diminished, minor key?
(I turn and shoot Audra the blankest, "give me a break" look)
(Pause)
AUDRA: That song that's like-I'll just play it.
(A few minutes later, Audra is still laughing at the face I gave her)
ME: Are you still laughing at me?
AUDRA: That, and like all the songs on this CD are in minor, diminished keys.
ME: I'm impressed you even know that. Major, minor...I don't get it.
AUDRA: Well, not all of them. The songs in minor keys are like the more evil songs. The ones in the major, augmented keys are the pretty ones.
ME: Like "Touch Me"?
AUDRA: Yup. (Laughs) The pretty songs..."Like 'Touch Me'"? (Pause)...well I'm not sure if it is a major key or not, actually. (She starts to sing it to herself). Hm...I think it's a major key?
ME: Do you need to hear it to decide?! (I jump up and get ready to play it)
AUDRA: Yeah, play it! Play it!
*Maybe this conversation is only funny to Audra and me. You sort of have to understand our dynamic to understand why this is funny to us. Basically, we're both just weird and listen to Spring Awakening way too much.
...now we are singing "Kumbaya" to explore major keys.
Like I said.
Weird.

No comments: