Addleheading For Life

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

So Much To Blog About

Holy smokes so much to blog about today!!

Ok. First, we must talk about how my mind plays tricks on me/messes with me as if I were a five year old.
So...my next movie to arrive on Netflix is Guillermo del Toro's El Orfanato.

I don't like slasher scary movies, but every once in a while I enjoy a supernatural scary movie that's more psychological rather than, "Billy Bob was shot here nine years ago and his restless spirit is haunting the sorority house he once lived in, join us as Billy Bob peeps in on collegiate girls having half-naked pillow fights and eventually reaps his revenge in a bloody massacre. Girls will get stabbed in the shower and during sex, please come see the movie that will teach young boys to associate sex with violence!"
Also, this movie is a foreign movie. I like foreign movies. Especially those of the French and Spanish variety. And especially those of the Guillermo del Toro variety. Pan's Labyrinth, anyone?
So David saw this movie and said it was really good but freaky. So I added it to my Netflix a long time ago making sure it was at the bottom so I wouldn't have to watch it for a while. It has finally made it's way up to being my next movie. Netflix sent me a little email saying, "We're shipping El Orfanato Tuesday!" And then I remembered. And it was too late to replace it with something less frightening.
I have not seen the movie yet.
The movie has not even arrived at my house yet.
But the mere prospect of watching the movie alone in my apartment...gave me nightmares last night.
Swear.
Good job, Guillermo del Toro. I haven't even seen El Orfanato yet and I'm already having El Orfanto themed nightmares!!
And yes, I probably will watch it when it arrives tonight.
a) Because I sort of kind of want to see it.
b) Because I am stubborn. "I can watch this movie by myself and go to bed a few hours later by myself and exist in a big apartment by myself for the next few days. I'll be fiiiine. Pssh."
c) Because it's coming whether I like it or not and I only get two movies a month and I payed for it dammit.

...so think of me tonight, guys. I'll be watching a hella scary movie all by myself. 'Cause I'm a big girl. Right?? I'm...a...big girl. Oh man. I wish I was still ten and had the excuse to run to my parent's bedroom when I was scared and sleep in their hardwoord floor. Oh yes. When I was little you had to be pretty damn scared to go sleep in Mom and Dad's room 'cause it might sleeping the night on a hard floor and waking up with a smashed face and backache.

Also...turning on the lights at work involves going in a dark theatre. You have to go into the tech booth which has large windows that overlook the theatre. Standing in one of the rows was a wardrobe mannequin. When I saw it I freaked 'cause I thought there was someone inside the theatre. A moment of staring led me to the conclusion it was a wardrobe mannequin and...uh...not a ghost.

My brain is weird.

Ok...in other news about REALLY scary things...GAS PRICES.
Holy friggin' smokes.
Chicago has the highest gas prices in the NATION.
GREAT!
I made the mistake of filling up in the city the other day and payed 4.24/gallon for regular unleaded. 4.24!!! SHEESH. The 'burbs are still real expensive. At least 4.00/gallon. Usually it ends up being 4.00 and some cents.
I heard on the radio today that oil is 130 bucks a barrel and it's estimated to top 150 a barrel by the end of the year. Which means...5.00/gallon gas?!?!?!?!?! Maybe?! I don't know I'm bad at math but that's about what my calculations gave me. YIKES!
I am not excited to move back to the suburbs but I am excited I won't be commuting 20miles each way to work anymore.
I've also decided I'm riding my bike EVERYWHERE this summer. It's less than a mile to the studio and only about three miles to the theatre from my house, so there's really no excuse not to. And I won't put myself into credit card debt filling up my damn car.
And what does our fair President do to remedy this malady??
He goes to Saudi Arabia and asks the King to increase oil production.
What a stooge. Of course he's gonna say, "Um...NO!"
What we should be doing is figuring out ways to maybe not be so DEPENDENT foreign oil and let's face it...oil in general. We would all be a lot better off if we worked on ways to not need oil. Think about how awesome that would be! And the polar bears would thanks us too!! It's like eating two pies with one fork: we don't suffer so oil companies can get richer AND we help the environment. (AND if you ask me we take an imporant step in solving a problem in a way that benifits the vast majority of people and NOT the freakin COMPANIES!!) (I'm sorry, I'm sorry but I'm currently going through my "Capitalism is the root of all evil phase.")


In other NON scary news:
So the other day I was on youtube in order to find clips from Young Frankenstein...THIS:


Led to THIS:


Which leads me to:
Oh my God! I wish I could move like this man. And also...I want his outfit.



...Also, not to alarm anyone but all of Young Frankenstein (the movie version not the crappy Broadway Musical version) is available on youtube. Run.




QUOTE OF THE DAY

ARIANA: Because peeccaan pieeee tastes better than homophobia.

Truer words were never said.

2 comments:

David A said...

OMG...that YF scene makes me laugh so hard everytime!!

Noelle said...

Have you watched The Orphanage yet? It's wicked creepy but well worth it. If you like it, and Pan's Labyrinth, check out The Devil's Backbone - an earlier movie directed by Guillermo Del Toro.