Addleheading For Life

Thursday, June 05, 2008

Composed Upon My Arrival To Work After Biking Here

So I biked to work today. I am so proud of myself. It's a little over three miles from my house to the theatre. I wasn't sure how long it would take little-out-of-shape Amy to bike here, so I of course gave myself WAY to much time. It only took me like 20 minutes to bike it! That's not too shabby, right?? I'm kind of excited and empowered about this idea of riding my bike all summer. I've been wanting to get into shape for a while and this might be the way to do it! YAY! My ass is going to be 10 kinds of fine come September. Look out! *Sigh* I've always wanted a nice ass. My dreams are finally coming true. And I won't even have to have surgery to get my nice ass. It will be nice because I'll have worked hard for it. And hard work paying off might be nicer than a nice ass...

As long as we're being shallow and talking about looks and physical features that shouldn't matter I gotta say...I kinda look like a giant dork in my bell helmet. It makes my head exponentially larger and my movements about thirty times more awkward than usual. BUT it does protect my noggin. And my noggin needs all the help it can get. Noggin might be my favorite word ever for head.

Since I have no bike to call my very own, I've decided to use my brother's long-abandoned-been-sitting-in-the-garage-for-four-years bike. Here's the thing: it's a BMX bike. Which means it ain't built for distances and I must say, even though my stubborn self INSISTED I'd be fine and there'd be NO reason for me to purchase a different bike-I might need to look into getting something a bit more built for my purposes of riding to work and not turning flips off vert ramps and breaking my collarbone. I mean...I made it here, it wasn't a bad ride but because it ain't built for distance-it has to be pedaled constantly. Like the word "coast" isn't in this bike's vocabulary. Which has it's upside of being a better work out for me. I guess I don't so much mind the constant pedaling as the lack of it being a comfortable bike to sit on. It just is not made to travel anymore than a few blocks.

So we'll see. I've talked to a couple people here and there on craigslist who are selling their old bikes but nothing's really jumped out at me. Maybe I'll see what kinda deal I can get at Wal-Mart. As much as I LOATHE shopping there and hate the idea that I'll probably get a bike assembled by children in Trejistan for 3 cents a day...second thought...I'll try craigslist again. And re-email this guy who lives near me who was selling his TREK bike for 120 bucks. I'm just a little worried it will be too big for me but who knows? Once I get a permanent bike-whether I end up just sticking with the BMX bike or picking up something else I may have to have a naming contest-so start thinking!


In a related tangent:
I LOVE SUMMER. I love that it is FINALLY warm in Chicago. Sheesh. It took long enough. I don't even care that is is 40 kinds of muggy and hot out today-I love it. It makes me feel like I'm somewhere tropical when it's like this. And when it's muggy out everything sweats-and unlike people when plants and trees sweat it smells lovely and my delusion that I am somewhere tropical is only encouraged.

In another related tangent:
So, in order to combat high fuel costs I am biking to work. Americans great and small are really hurting at the gas pump. There's this part of me thinks it would be kind of sort of AWESOME if people owned horses again and rode them everywhere. After all, if you read the article in my last post people are just dumping them out west. Those horses need love and a home we need to not use oil-EVERYBODY WINS. And I ESPECIALLY win because I've wanted a pony since about the time I had a concept of a pony.


P.S. It is with great pride that I officially make "biking" a tag on this blog. Between the eventual bike naming contest and the fact that I'm me and at some point or another a hilarious story is going to occur while I'm on a bike and the fact that I will probably wipe the heck out at least once this summer-it needed to happen.

No comments: