Addleheading For Life

Monday, March 17, 2008

Composed Upon A St. Patrick's Day

Well, Top O The Morning To Ye.

It's pretty much St. Patrick's Day.

I won't be drinking any green beer.
Or Guinness.

BUT
I did wear me little paper boy hat today
And a green sweater
And green shoes

The ensemble pretty much spells: Irish.

You'll all be happy to know I am, in fact, a little bit Irish.
Like, actually, legitimately a little bit Irish.
Not just, "Everyone's a little bit Irish on St. Patrick's Day, even Eskimos."
I am straight up Irish-blooded.
Me grandma's family was from the Emerald Isle. With a last name like, "Byrne" it's sorta hard not be Irish.
And my Irish heritage is further proved by my fair and freckled skin.
And the fact that it's possible I'm part leprechaun. Except, I got the short end of the stick (Pun intended. Is that even a pun or just clever wit?)in my leprechaun-ness in that the only markable traits I have of this heritage is my height and general sprightliness. I've got no magic. And certainly no pot of gold. And at the moment, no cereal peppered with marshmellows. (Peppered with marshmellows?)


So, if I may I'd like to share a fond memory I have of a St. Patrick's day past.
(Oh by the way, St. Patrick? Pretty much my hero. Any person who can drive snakes off an entire island wins my love and affection. I hate snakes. He probably should have just gone ahead and driven them off the face of the earth because they're gross and scary and I hate them. One day I will tell you of the fearful encounter I had with a snake. It pretty much scarred me for life and is why I am so afraid of snakes today).

ANYWAY.
Back to a fond memory of a St. Patrick's day past...
So my mom was a kindergarten teacher, right?
And every year on St. Patrick's day she would over turn the the children's chairs and generally make a mess of the room. Then she would sprinkle glitter from down the hallway and into the room and all around the room. Also, she would put green footprints over the tables and stuff. And then when the kids came she would tell them that a leprechaun had been in the room. She would say she went out to make copies and came back and the room was in it's state of disarray. And the kids would get wide-eyed excited and then they would all have to find the "pot of gold" the leprechaun had hidden in the room. So cute. AND because my brother and I would go to school with my mom early in the morning, she would always find some way to get us out of the room while she leprechaun-i-fied the room so WE would think there was really a leprechaun too. Awesome.

Ok...here's another St. Patrick's day memory. One time, my brother decided he was going to build a leprechaun trap so as to, get this, trap a leprechaun. I don't rememeber exactly how it worked, but I think it involved pennies (bait) and a plastic tub propped up by a drumstick (the kind for banging on things not the chicken kind) which could then be pulled out by a sting, thus trapping the leprechaun in the plastic tub. My brother apparently wanted to trap the leprechaun and then demand the leprechaun take him to his pot of gold. Seriously. And then I guess my brother would do something like buy a buttload of Big League Chew. Well, my mom...being the generally awesome and clever mom that she was, tripped my brother's leprechaun trap while he slept and placed under the the lip of the box, a "torn" piece of green fabric. So as to look like the leprechaun had almost been caught, but escaped without a significant portion of his coat.
My brother thought for a long time that he had almost caught a leprechaun.
Awesome.

Those are me memories of St. Patrick's Days past. Hope you enjoyed readin' them as much as I enjoyed remembering them.



So...
Chicken played this song today in the box office:

CHICKEN: Aw, it's like you're theme song Maximus
ME: Why?
CHICKEN: 'Cause it's talking about love.
Aw. I think it's the nicest theme song suggestion I've ever gotten.
And I kinda like the song too. Aw. It makes me feel fuzzy inside. Here's a good lyric:
"Look into your heart and you'll find love love love
Listen to the music of the moment maybe sing with me
I like peaceful melodys
It's your God-forsaken right to be loved love loved love love"
Aw. I'm all fuzzy. What a good song!


QUOTE OF THE DAY

Me and Chicken are listening to Alicia Key's "No One" in the box.
CHICKEN: I love this song. It's so good. It makes you just want to get up and love somebody.
ME: Chicken! You're so full of loving today!
CHICKEN: It's St. Patrick's Day!
Yes, Chicken. It certainly is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate to disappoint you . . . but: http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=3648537&blogID=367651430&Mytoken=DD3C7B97-846D-4156-842BFA50553B1A7072544201

- Katie

Carly said...

I love that Alicia Key's song too!!
Also, David hates it, so you should sing it to him every chance you get!