Addleheading For Life

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Back to School, Back to School

Well, it's back to school for me. I had my first day of classes yesterday and so far, so good. I'm in an acting class this semester that I'm really excited for. My other theatre class this semester is a Dramatic Literature class, which should be fabulous. My other three classes are just Gen Eds. They're going to suck. It seems like for the low level Ged Ed classes my school hires inexperienced teachers working on their PhDs. Which, hey I understand every body has to start somewhere and what else you gonna do when you're working on your PhD besides teach a bunch of college students who don't give a shit about Political Philosophy? But my Gen Ed classes this semester meet once a week for two and half hours. If you are a sucky teacher, sitting through your class for two and half hours is going to be really hard. I took a class like that last semester and sitting through it made me want to poke my eye out with my pen so I could have an excuse to leave. Seriously.

"Um, professor? I'm really sorry to interrupt your stirring lecture, but my eye fell out. I really think I should go as much as I hate to miss the next hour and half of you enjoying the sound of your own voice."
"You eye just fell out, Amy?"
"Yeah, weird huh? I swear I didn't poke it out with my pen."
"Do you want any help to the nurse?"
"No, it's cool. The other eye is still in so I'll be fine."

Don't get me wrong. I'm probably one of the most gung-ho proprietors of education you will ever meet. I think education is extremely important. I LOVE learning. I feel very thankful for the very fact I have an opportunity to get an education. Even if the class makes me want to poke out my eye with my pen, I still usually find something interesting about the material. And I feel like everything I learn feeds into my desire to become a well-informed, articulate artist.
That said.
If the class is two and half goddamn hours long you think you'd get a prof who had a little more confidence in front of a stifling hot room of 40 college age students staring up at the front of the room with blank stares.

Ha. I have this one class with a lady who I swear is older than the professor. How awkward would that student-professor affair be???

Anyway. Enough about all that. So these past few days I have encountered lots of interesting things:
-Ok, so I was driving and I saw this truck with a sticker on it's back that read, "Safety is our goal." Um good for you trucking company. But don't you think safety shouldn't be so much as a goal but a standard? I mean, 'cause goals are great and all but goals are more things you hope to achieve or I'll even go so far to say as have a really good chance of achieving. I would hope safety would be a given. What that sticker really says is, "Hey, we like safety...but sometimes it just doesn't happen. Sometimes, we bathe with toasters."

-Ok, so yesterday I saw this lady with a baby strapped to her torso (you know in one of those strap-your-baby-to-your-torso-things) and the lady was also walking a dog, it was a fairly large dog. So the lady walks by me heading north. 5 minutes later, she walks by me again heading South (I don't know why you need to know the directions she was going. I guess it makes my story seem more important)...so she walks by me again heading South, literally 5 minutes later...I'm waiting for a bus...BUT the funny thing is that when she walked by me the second time she didn't have the dog any more!! Ok, so maybe it's not as crazy as it seemed in the moment. I suppose it was better than her walking by me a second time with the strap-you-baby-to-your-torso-thing without a baby. Or walking by me a second time dragging a dog leash with no dog.

-Um. Apple Jacks. I ate some the other day and here's the thing...THEY DON'T TASTE LIKE APPLES. Ok, I vaguely remember being a kid and seeing commercials for Apple Jacks and that being the central theme of the commercial. That they didn't taste like apples but kids liked them anyway and adults never understood why they could eat something called Apple Jacks that didn't taste like apples. Maybe when you start questioning why Apple Jacks don't taste like apples is when you officially cross over into adulthood. Because yesterday I was seriously eating them like, "I just don't understand this!! HOW can they call this cereal APPLE Jacks??? It has nothing to do with APPLES! This is an outrage!"
So I guess maybe that means I am no longer a child. I can officially call myself an adult because I question the name choice and taste of Apple Jacks instead of just being happy to eat them because they are sugary and delicious.
...Then again I still do sleep with a giant stuffed dog-bear so maybe I'm not quite as adult as I think.

-I saw the HAUTEST site EVER the other day, guys. TWO chicks…dressed in the exact same ugly ass black dress (it looked like a low cut t-shirt nightgown with no sleeves), with similar handbags slung over their right shoulders, wearing similar huge wind-shield style sunglasses that took up half their faces, fake orange tans, and smoking their cigs. And I thought to myself, “Why oh why can’t I reel myself in a winner like one of those two fine, fine sexy ladies??”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so, the baby and dog story made me laugh out loud...at the library. well done.