Addleheading For Life

Friday, January 25, 2008

No Country For Old Men

I saw No Country For Old Men tonight. Check it out:


It was really really good. The Coen brothers know how to make a damn good film. I always appreciate movies that are well shot, movies where the camera work goes beyond simply functioning as the method by which the story is told. This movie does just that.
The movie is really well written. It's based on a novel by Cormac McCarthy, which I'm sort of intrigued to read right now because apparently the movie is very faithful to the book. The dialogue and the language in the film is damn near perfect and equally matched by the visuals aspects of the film.
The acting is superb. Although, I have to say...I've got a real soft spot for Tommy Lee Jones. I just like him no matter what. Javier Bardem (the dude with the weird haircut) is absolutely frightening. That thing he carries around? It's an air gun. He uses is to shoot people. It is disgusting and freaky and weird. Bardem plays this character that is really quite insane...but it's this controlled and directed insanity that I find so scary. And it's what makes the movie really scary. There's really nothing more terrifying than a crazy person who knows exactly what he or she wants and will stop at nothing to do so. Josh Brolin is really good too. Woody Harrelson's part is rather small, but he's great. Milton the stapler guy from Office Space also makes an appearance. He's pretty good, although when I saw him sitting behind his desk I expected him to say:

That movie is so damn funny.
Anyway, No Country For Old Men is extremely intense. It was another one where I added my own soundtrack of noises. It is violent and scary but not overdone. Everything serves the story. It's classified as a "thriller" but really it's sort of modern Western.
That's all I have to say about it. Go see it if you can, it's really good.
Javier Bardem and that damn air gun will probably haunt my dreams tonight, but it was worth it.

No comments: