Addleheading For Life

Sunday, July 08, 2007

Was I Rude?

Ok. So...a few days ago I was in this place called Starbucks. Maybe you've heard of it.

So.

I had some time to kill. I got my coffee then made my way to find a seat. It was pretty crowded and they only table available was a big one that sat four. Since I was only one person, I did not want to take up this entire table. I sat there for a sec, feeling kinda bad because I was planning on staying for a while and writing.

THEN I saw that there was a place on a couch. No one was sitting there so I got up and went over there. When I got to the couch there was a book sitting on the cushion. I looked around for a second and nobody seemed to belong to the book. It was just a trashy romance paper back, so I figured whoever had just left it either on purpose because they were done with it or by accident. So I pick up the book and set it on the table next to the couch and settle in.

10 minutes later this dude comes walking over, talking on his cell phone, he sees me, picks up his book in a huff and goes to sit at another couch across the room. If he hadn't been on his cell phone I would have asked him if he wanted his seat back, but I couldn't because he was talking.

Was I rude to sit in this spot? Or was he rude to leave his book, disappear for at least 10 minutes and assume that his seat would be reserved?

I don't know what was the socially correct thing to do!!

No comments: