Addleheading For Life

Monday, August 11, 2008

So I Finally Relented...

...and bought a new battery for my computer, Miss. Watermelon.

In case you were unaware my battery decided to lose its purpose back in March and quit working. Leaving poor old Miss. Watermelon powerless and dead sans her plug-in cord and an outlet. Being stubborn and unwilling to part with 150 bucks, I remained steadfast that Miss. Watermelon would be just fine as pretty much a desktop, constantly plugged into a power source.

However...

Having to shut Miss. Watermelon down and unplug her and plug her back in and reboot just to move locations in my house was getting super old.

Also getting old?

Without a battery the computer has no memory of date/time. This is no problem with an internet connection. With an internet connection, the computer recognizes the date/time and corrects itself. But without the internet or a battery my computer insists that it is December 16th, 1969 at 6:00pm.
Um, computer? Pretty sure you weren't even a glimmer in Steve Jobs's eye at that time.
Anyway, this wouldn't be such a big deal BUT getting the date/time screwed up for whatever reason messes with my applications and makes them misbehave.

BASICALLY , TO GET TO THE CRUX OF THE MATTER...I was in constant need of a) an outlet and b) the internet for my computer to work properly.

As I said, it was getting old. And with my final semester looming on the horizon, I need Miss. Watermelon to be as reliable and powerful as possible.


That said.

Do you have ANY idea how much it SUCKS to walk into a Mac Store...walk past the ipod touches, walk past the iphone, walk past the new laptop models, find someone and say, "Hi. I need a new battery."?
And if that's not enough...then have the guy look on the shelf where they keep the batteries and realize they don't keep the batteries for Miss. Watermelon on the shelf anymore because she is so old? Like...2005 old. And then he has to go in back and pull out a battery from 2005-Might-As-Well-Be-1969??? And then in you see the poster for the special deal wherein buying a brand new laptop gets you a FREE ipod touch? And then in your mind you're like "what if I did?" Because Miss. Watermelon was also made like MONTHS before they started manufacturing ibooks with cameras built into them? And you think it would be really swell to have a webcam? And a brand new shiny computer? And a brand new ipod touch to replace the ipod nano you have from 2004 that you seriously have no idea how is still working??

...and then you remember that there are starving kids in Africa.
...and then you remember that there is nothing wrong with Miss. Watermelon. And she looks at you and says, "I might be old, and I might not have a webcam built into me, and maybe I didn't come with a free ipod, and maybe I'm a little banged up and dirty (that part's pretty much your fault, btw) but I love you. I love you even when my battery is dead. I love you even when you get impatient and can't wait for me to finish shutting down properly before you pull my plug out of the wall. I love you enough to let you put a rotation of lame comics on my desktop. I love you enough to have never sent any of your important papers to the land of no return. I love you even though I have to stare at your ugly face for hours a day. Think about that. Your face. In my face. All the freakin' time. But still, I love you."

And then you feel really bad about yourself (and slightly crazy because your computer just spoke to you (and not only spoke to you but professed it's undying love for you even though you're pretty much a jerk (and right in the middle of a Mac Store no less (and you looked around to see if anyone else heard)))).
And then you decide to quit your bitchin' and moanin' about going to the Mac Store to buy something boring.
And then you decide that Miss. Watermelon might be worth having to buy something a little boring.
And then you decide to maybe donate a buck or two to starving kids in Africa.
And then you decide to stick with Miss. Watermelon and not buy a brand new black ibook with built in webcam.
...(at least 'till the end of undergrad).

1 comment:

David A said...

best. blog. ever.

That being said...when did your computer become miss watermelon? Also, as i was reading...i said in my head..."silly having an argument about whales 'talking' with the person who just blogged about thier computer professing 'her' love" =)