Addleheading For Life

Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Great ipod Debate

My ipod mini that served me well for almost five years is officially dead.

ipod minis are ancient.
So ancient, they don't make them anymore. (Well, to be fair, I guess their equivalent would now be the nano) BUT my point is...you can no longer walk into a mac store and ask to see their selection of ipod minis. If you do, they will probably laugh at you.

ipod minis...
...before color screens and slim, sleek design...





I'm a person who has a really hard time spending money on things I don't really need*. (*NB: Ice cream doesn't count. Ice cream = need. Duh.) It's rare that some THING catches my eye and I'm like, "holy crap...gotta have." In fact it almost never happens.
But holy mother of mercy am I drooling over this sweet device...

If I decide to get a replacement ipod, I think this would be the one I'd get.
Please, please...
Allow me to rationalize.
a) Getting a huge ipod with a ridiculous amount of storage space is way beyond my needs. I do not have anywhere NEAR 20,000 songs, so why get the ginormous 80GB?
b) The ipod shuffle is stupid. And if it fell into my cereal in the morning I just might accidently eat it.
c) Nanos are great for music and would essentially be comparable to what I had with my mini. BUT if I'm looking to "move on up in the world" as the kids say...
a) ipod touches are wifi equipped. Which means anywhere there's a wifi hotspot. You get internet. This could be pretty awesome for school and could mean I don't have to take my laptop with me everyday.
b) It can hold around 1500 songs which is pretty perfect for me.
c) It has a calendar, which means I could do away with my current paper planner.
I guess what really appeals to me about the ipod touch is that it's more than an mp3 player. It's got internet access, you can upload photo slide shows to it and it has the ability to be a sort of personal organizer. In other words: THIS THING IS FREAKIN' SWEET AND APPEALS STRONGLY TO MY OCD.

...however...
a) In all honestly, I am not certain my "coolness" factor meets with that of the ipod touch. The ipod touch is a sleek, bitchin' piece of technological genius and I...well...I am awkward. (Which is why my bulky mini fit me so perfectly). I mean, I'm not trying to be self-deprecating AT ALL but if I got this thing it would be the most advanced (not to mention fashionable) piece of anything I've ever owned. Period. And I'm not really the type to need or want that kind of stuff. I usually leave that to my brother.
b) I am pretty concerned about its ability to withstand wear and tear. I'm also concerned with it's longevity. I don't want to spend so much money on something that will die in a year.
c)The price tag is pretty hefty. 299 bucks for new 8GB ipod touch. OR I can buy a refurbished (returned items apple fixes/cleans/spruces up/whatevers and then sells at a discounted price) 8GB ipod touch for 199. I have to admit that is more than a little tempting.

I think I'm going to sleep on it for a few days and talk to people and see what they say about their ipods. If you are an ipod owner, let me know your personal ipod poison and what you think of it. If you have any other opinions on the matter or know someone with ipod touch who either:
a) hates it or
b) doesn't know how they lived without it
Please, let me know.

I also just realized my ihome dock is now pretty useless to me. I mean...sure it tells time and has a radio and can still exist as my alarm clock BUT what's the point of an ihome with no ipod??? (More rationalizing) I can no longer make sure I wake up to Justin Timberlake's "Sexyback". How the hell am I supposed to start my last semester as an undergrad without waking up to "Sexyback"?? HOW??!?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well, i have a standard video iPod, and it's lasted over 2 years now with really no issues. i like it a lot and it holds a bunch of music/strong bad e-mails. :) it is lacking all the internet and calender features you were talking about with the iTouch. but it keeps me happy!