Addleheading For Life

Sunday, September 07, 2008

Composed Upon A Long Day Working Alone In The Box Office

I am at the box office today. Working alone. It is slow.

Here is a crash course in some things I've been meaning to blog about lately:

POINT A: QUESADILLAS
YES! The Quesadillas were delcious. No, David, they were NOT a hot mess. Sorry to leave y'all hanging on that one. Verdict: Quesadillas delicious!

POINT B: CLAMS
Last week David and I went to an Italian restaurant...
DAVID: If I get a clam appetizer will you have some?
ME: (Slight pause) Um...sure?
DAVID: Do you like clams?
ME: I'm not sure I've tried them properly in a while.
DAVID: Will you try them if I get them?
ME: Yes.
DAVID: Will you love them?
ME: (Slight pause)...sure.
I was slightly wary. But this gorgeous steaming plate of clams arrives in a beautiful white wine-butter-garlic sauce and HOLY COW were they delcious. Clams Delicious! Quesadillas Delicious! Trying new things delcious!

POINT C: SCHOOL
POINT 1 ON SCHOOL: I'm a poetry writing class! It's so awesome! Although, the jury is still out on whether I take myself seriously enough to be in that class. BUT I will have to write around 30 poems. Anything that demands that sort of writing from me is so exciting and delicious. Poetry writing delicious! Clams Delicious! Quesadillas Delicious!

Ok...so work was so boring/draining that I couldn't complete the above post yesterday (now it's tomorrow (aka Monday morning)). So in my inability to finish writing yesterday, I started another game of spider solitaire and realized in doing so my eyes might start to bleed and/or up and fall out of my head. Thankfully, Meghan came and talked to me for my last hour. And we talked about how much we wanted to throw a ball. (Ball as in big fancy dance, not "throw a ball" as in Meghan and I wanted to go chuck a football around...but that would be fun too...but Meghan probably wouldn't want to play that with me) Seriously. How much freakin' fun would it be to go to a BALL??? Like..old school, dress up BALL. I didn't save our conversation but I do remember it going something like this:

ME: I want to go to and/or throw a ball. Wouldn't that be ridiculously fun?
MEGHAN: Yes!
ME: I mean...think about it...a BALL!
MEGHAN: Hahaha the lesbian wants to throw a ball.
ME: Well, I'd want to wear a tux and/or nice suit.
MEGHAN: Duh.
ME: Omg, Meghan. How can we throw a ball?
MEGHAN: It would be a lot of fun...getting all dressed up. I don't get to dress up all that often.

Later...
MEGHAN: I'll bring the string quartet.
ME: I'm bring the goblets.

When I went home, after calling Meghan on the phone (because clearly after talking online for an hour we had to talk on the phone) I promptly made myself a tuna sandwich and watched 2 and half episodes of Law and Order: Criminal Intent. And now I say unto you: How is it possible for that show to be so good and so very bad at the same time? Then I did laundry. And then I talked to Sara, who told me the most hilarious story about her escapades in a gay bar in Bloomington-Normal and getting offered free drinks from a 60 plus year old bartender named "Mama" and having to get around the gay men making out in the hallway on her way to the bathroom and past the lesbians grinding on the dancefloor with glasses of wine in their hand. It may or may not be my favorite story of the week, and told by Sara it is priceless.

And so now I sit here on a Monday morning, at my spot in the campus building RIGHT on the lake. Like, literally guys....ON the lake...like, if this was an action movie and I jumped out the window, I would be very wet. And rightfully so, this building is MADE of windows. Uh. I am going to miss this spot after December. The lake is always very beautiful, but today it is particularly so. It's sunny/cloudy today so the lake is this placid combo of gray shimmery-ness which I guess if you wanted to be concise you could call silver. and the wind is pretty calm, which makes for perfectly clear water-OMG! THERE IS SOMEONE SWIMMING IN THE LAKE!!! HOLY SHIT!! (This is strange because there are no beaches around...dude must be a professional swimmer because he is like IN THE LAKE. I am currently looking around me to see if anyone else sees that I see..I hope he's ok! Be careful man!) Anyway...even though on Mondays I don't have to be in class until 12:30...I like to come down here early and sit right here and do my homework (like my poetry writing) (how perfect is that?) (example: the lake is a placid combo of gray shimmery-ness) (that is some nobel prize worthy verse let me tell you)

SWIMMER UPDATE: He (or she) is now swimming by the windows again in the opposite direction. I am worried about this man/woman. I mean...I'm sure he/she is fine and just getting exercise and taking advantage of the calm waters today...right?...I've just decided NOT to watch the news tonight.
...Looks like he/she is backstroking. I sure hope you are Michael Phelps, swimmer man/woman, and I know it's cause my best stroke is the dog paddle and I'm deathly afraid of open water but what you are doing looks 40 kinds of dangerous. Oh, ok-I feel slightly better knowing you at least on the inside of the "No Wake" buoy. Buoy. What a strange word. OMG! That is the object I am going to write my "ode" about! (I have to write an "ode" for my poetry class on a single object...I was at a bit of a loss. Buoy wins for the oddity of a word that it is!)
...the vents in the building are open...so I can hear the waves.
God, I love this building.
My other favorite thing about this building?
Watching birds. I was in here the other day and watched birds fly and swoop past the windows and then just SIT in one spot on the wind. It was pretty incredible. People sometimes stare at me and give me weird looks because I spend a fair amount of time staring out the window, watchin' the world go by...HOW COULD YOU NOT?? I mean...birds...SWIMMERS...
AND! AND! AND!
THE OTHER DAY A HELICOPTER SWOOPED RIGHT PAST THE WINDOW, REALLY LOW, LITERALLY RIGHT THROUGH MY FIELD OF VISION...the 10 year old boy in my rejoiced. I refrained from saying "that was awesome" aloud, although the slight rock of excitement I did in my chair and my huge smile plastered across my face as I looked around to high give my fellow students was probably enough to make people think I was nut. Oh well. I'm ok with that.


...most random/rambling post ever. I should go write that buoy ode, if you'll excuse me.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

We have a new girl working with us in the box office. Chicken is training her, telling her all sorts of things, about servers and where stuff is and what we put where and...
CHICKEN: And if you need to get a new box of brochures I recommend sending Amy...or someone else strong.
KATIE: (In slight disbelief/confusion/need for clarification of the ways of the box office) Amy's strong?
CHICKEN: Oh yeah. That's why we call her Maximus.


P.S. Can I be angry for a sec? Recent polls have McCain ahead of Obama in a "convention bounce". Did the rest of America watch the convention as me?? Because McCain should be behind Obama in a "republican douchebag deficit." I am worried.

No comments: