Addleheading For Life

Monday, December 10, 2007

I Am The Worst Girl Ever

So, as I stated in an earlier post...
I had to buy a skirt.

Now, I as you might imagine I don't have a pair of shoes that go well with this skirt. (I don't think my acting teacher would appreciate it I tried to do the scene in my "angry lesbian boots" as I've now decided to call them). So I went to payless today to try and find a simple pair of black ballet flats. After some searching and a mild freak out attack that I'd have to buy the pair with sparkle-y buckle. I found what I thought was a plain black pair of ballet flats.
I take 'em to the counter pausing only to grab a pair of thick black tights.

...I get home.

I open up the box of shoes and realize that I did in fact buy the pair with the sparkle-y buckle. The front of the shoes were wrapped in paper...hence why I didn't realize in the store.
I looked at the tights I bought. And realized I bought a pair for people size 5'7''-6'.
Um, I'm 5' on a GOOD day. So I've got about 7'' of extra tights.
...Whatever. I'm just going to have to suck it up and deal with it I guess.
I suck at being a girl.

I perform the scene as a finished piece tomorrow. I'm pretty excited about it. I really enjoyed this Shakespeare class. I'm really sad it will be over after tomorrow. I'm thinking about asking the prof where I can go to learn more, because I'm seriously considering taking on Shakespeaian acting as a more formal course of study. I just love it. {DISCLAIMER: Dork-out moment coming in 5...4...3...2...} Speaking Shakespeare's language is just so fun. It's fun. It's amazing stuff. Yes, I have to work at it. But I LOVE that about Shakespeare. I love that Shakespeare absolutely demands that you are not to throw away lines or language. I LOVE that it's difficult. I LOVE how expressive it is.
Anyway. This course has really opened up an avenue for me that I never really considered. I've always loved acting and performing. And not that I ever gave up on it, but I sort of made the decision that I should study directing or writing more closely because I know I don't look like a typical woman. I'm not sure how "castable" I am because of my looks. And yes, I know I can always play little boys. But if you look at and read plays like I do, you'd see how genderized the characters are. Obviously, this isn't the case totally across the board and I know there are roles out there I could be cast in but for the most part when I read or see a play I see a lot of roles I would never be cast in. I know I could play the roles. I know I could do it. But I know that I won't be cast.
Now, I would be lying if I said gender isn't important in Shakespeare's plays. Quite often conflict in the play actually centers are concepts of gender (as in Twelfth Night were Viola disguises herself as a man). But in Shakespeare there's this opportunity to turn gender upside down and inside out more so than in any other playwright I've enountered (except for maybe Charles Ludlam). This can probably be traced back to the Elizabethean period when Shakespeare's plays were contemporary and woman were not allowed on stage, so men played all the roles. I guess what I'm trying to say is I see more of a place for myself as an actor and performer in the world of Shakespeare than I do in contemporary theatre.


QUOTES OF THE DAY

(Kids at the Studio today...discussing the existence of Santa)
NICK: Someone once told me that the parents did it. But I don't think that's true.
LEXI: It's not.
NICK: I know. How could it be true? If it were the parents...that's like hundreds of dollars in gifts. So it can't be the parents. It's gotta be Santa.

TYLER: You know what?
ME: What?
TYLER: You know how you can figure out how old you are?
ME: How?
TYLER: How old you are is how many birthdays you've had.
ME: Really?
TYLER: Uh-Huh.
ME: How many birthdays have you had?
TYLER: I've only had four birthdays. So I'm four.
ME: Whoa. Four birthdays!
TYLER: Yeah. You know what? I've only had four birthdays.
ME: I've had 21 birthdays.
TYLER: Whoa.
ME: Yeah, I know.
TYLER: You know what? I've only had four birthdays. I've had four birthdays and I'm not in school yet. I don't even go to kindergarden yet. I'm not in school.
ME: You don't go to school huh?
TYLER: No. Even though I've had four birthdays.
ME: Well, that's ok. I think you could wait a little longer until you go to school.
TYLER: Yeah. I probably won't go to school until I'm an adult. Like...I probably won't go to school until I'm 10 or something.
ME: That sounds like a good plan.

LITTLE JOE: (After putting placing buttons on his Christmas tree pin) I think I need to rest.

LITTLE JOE: We have two Christmas trees.
ME: Two?!! No fair! I don't even have one!
LITTLE JOE: Wait, actually we have three! (He shows me three fingers)
ME: Three? You have got to be kidding me.
LITTLE JOE: We have one little one thats a night light, one medium one, and then one e-nor-mous one that's Mommy'r peacock tree and we're not allowed to touch.
*Little Joe is three. Yes. He really said enormous. Pretty sure that word is bigger than he is.

AMY'S LOVE LETTERS
Dear "Walking on the Moon" LP on vinyl that XRT played the other day,
You were amazing.
Love,
Amy

I think radio stations should play more vinyl. I wish artists still released stuff on vinyl and I wish I had a record player.

1 comment:

me said...

i'm sorry about the buckles.

any way you could think of them as bling? is bling even a thing anymore? god i feel old.

it's always funny when people are self-deprecating in blog comments. whoops.