Addleheading For Life

Thursday, April 10, 2008

I've Been Thinking...

So...

I'm sitting here in the information commons, as it's called, before class. And basically this place is just three floors of computers and study areas. It's right on the lake and is pretty much the best ever when it comes to fulfilling your studying and "gettin' it done" needs.

But I was thinking...

I was thinking that it would be really awesome if one floor were a roller rink. I thought this because I was sitting here like, "You know...if they took out all the furniture and computers you could totally strap on some skates and bust out some triple sow cows in this place."

And if you're going to remove all the furniture so you can skate around you might as well add a parquet floor, a disco ball, some 70s music and short shorts. I mean...am I right?! Or am I right??

What better way to shake some of the that school stress than to run around ON WHEELS while shaking your groove thing?!
I mean the only better way to unstress that I know involves ponies and I don't want to go COMPLETELY overboard here. I mean we do have to be somewhat realistic.

Can I say something about my academic institution and ponies, please?

So...around campus they've spread hay on the lawn on areas where the grass has stopped growing and there's just mud. I guess it's to keep the mud in it's place.
But I have to say...everytime I walk around campus and see the hay for a split second I forget why it's there and I'm like, "Oh my GOD, is Loyola getting PONIES?!"
Ok...
HOW AMAZING WOULD IT BE IF THERE WERE FREE ROAMING PONIES ON COLLEGE CAMPUSES?!!!?!
I can pretty much guarantee college kids would be a lot happy.
And I have to put it out there that I would absolutely NOT object to my tuition money going to fund such a cause.
I'll bitch and moan as will others likely if you tell me my tuition is going up to build a new athletic center. But WHO in their right mind would argue with PONIES????

You probably wonder why I'm so obsessed with ponies.
That's fair.
Well, it's a little known fact that I used to horseback ride regularly when I was young. From about age 7 to 12 I had lessons once a week.
I know.
I know.
I was one of "those" kids that took horseback riding. I wasn't stuck up though, I swear. I didn't do too many "shows" in fact I didn't really like "shows" I mostly just liked hanging out in the barn with...well...the horses.
I think horses are probably the most beautiful/soulful animal on the face of the earth. And if you don't believe me, you've only got to look into their eyes.
Holy crap...I'm talking like the Horse Whisperer.
But seriously, it's true.
They're lovely animals.
Here is a lovely story about a horse...
So...when I rode I usually rode this horse named Buster. He was a sweet guy, but nobody really like him the way I did. Some kind of found him to be a pain in the ass. But he was my favorite. I would feed him carrots or apples or peppermints or junior mints (no joke) after every lesson. AND on the few occasions where I did not in fact ride Buster, I would always stop by his stall to give him a treat so he wouldn't feel forgotten or sad and always know he was my favorite. (P.S. Buster was a retired race horse. How awesome is that?)
Anyway.
Years passed, we moved away, I stopped riding.
I never forgot about Buster though.
One day while in town where I used to ride, we decided to stop by the old barn.
We were told Buster was in the paddock out back. So I walk out there, turn the corner and start to walk toward him.
I swear on my life that horse saw me, picked up his head, his ears pointed forward, came right to the fence and whinnied.
AND if THAT weren't enough to melt your heart...I've got another story.
So more years went by...
I decided one day to stop by the barn again (this was like two or three years ago)
This time, Buster was very very old. I could actually see how old he was. He was so old he was "unrideable" but I was allowed to take him out and groom him.
So I did.
And as I would work my way back on his body, he would turn his head and just STARE at me. Every time. As soon as I got like halfway down his body towards his butt he would just turn his head around and STARE.
So I when he did this I would walk back to the front of him and when I did he would just put his big pony face right in my arms.
Tug on the old heart strings, eh?

That is the story of why I love ponies.

One day I hope to have a pony.





DAMN!!
This early morning posts have a tendency to be both completely random and nostalgic rehashings of my childhood, huh???


...have to go to class. It's a good thing I never talk in this first class I have. My teacher would be like, "Amy, when was the war of 1812?" and I would be like, "Um, so I think that the info commons needs a roller rink and also I really like ponies."

No comments: