Addleheading For Life

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Trying to Write One of Two Final Undergrad Papers At 9:30 on a Saturday Night: A Study

Paper 1:
A literary criticism paper on The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison. Great book. I recommend it. But I hate being forced to write in such a structural, regimented way. Currently, I'm doing a rough/draft outline that will be filled out over the next few days.

Here is a "sentence" I wrote:
"At the novel’s end, Pecola, with the weight of history on her and the knowledge. She goes crazy. "

Here is how the construction of that sentence went in my brain:
"At the novel's end, Pecola, with the weight of her parental history...no...just history. Don't want to be too wordy...with the weight of history on her...on her?....on her...and the knowledge she will never have blue eyes...but wait...at the end she thinks she has blue eyes...but she's crazy...so...she's just crazy? Ugh. With the weight of history on her and the knowledge...the knowledge...screw this...SHE GOES CRAZY."

Uggghhhh...
Am I done yet? Can I have my degree now PLEASE!!?

And you know what I'm doing right now, right??
Procrastinating. I've got about a page of sentences and fragments constructed like the above delightful piece of insight. I need seven.
And that's just the one paper.

Holy Toledo. I love school. I love learning. But I will NOT miss writing academic papers.

Dear God,
Please send me a paper-writing elf.
Love,
Amy
P.S. If they don't exist you should make them. 'Cause you're God and allowed to do that.


My mind is so out to lunch right now. I know I don't have much left to do, I know I just need to sit my ass down and DO IT and get it DONE so I can be DONE.
But seriously?
Right now my brain is running through fragrant meadows and spinning in circles while humming to itself.

1 comment:

David A said...

"At the novel’s end, Pecola, with the weight of history on her and the knowledge. She goes crazy. "

Wow...that's right out of the Sarah Palin's Greatest Hits Collection.

=)

Love,
Erika