Addleheading For Life

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Thoughts on the Election

I am elated about our new President elect.
Some of my friends have said that they're finally proud to be an American. And since we all know what the right "gotcha" media will do with that statement, I won't say it.
What I will say?
For the first time in my life I understand what it is to be an American. The American ideals I've read about in history books all my life, the supposed American ideals that this country has always stood for-I finally see in my country, my generation, my new president. It's the first time in my life I feel like I can even say "my president" instead of "the president".
I am so proud of my generation.
I am so proud that America elected a BLACK MAN.
I am so proud Obama proved the impossible.
I am proud that as a nation-not matter you voted for, no matter where you sit in politics-that we cared and showed up to the polls in record numbers.
For the first time in my life I understand what it is to be an American.
This election is an amazing triumph-for America, for the world, for minorities. But mostly for hope and the hopeful who proved to be a big loud collective majority last night instead of the quiet voice in the corner.
Hell.
Yes.
And! AND! AND!!!
There will be puppies.
Like you do much better.
Ok?
Ok.
Look.
I'm not a dummy and Obama ain't Superman.
We got a lot of work to do.
And I'm not elated about the election results because I believe he is the be all end all solution.
I'm not elated about the election results because he's a democrat and is going to rule the country with a liberal agenda.
I'm elated about the election results because I believe he will be the inspiration and instigation for change that will continue for generations.
I'm elated because he's helped people believe in their country, believe in each other, and believe in the power of hope.
That's pretty freakin' awesome.
Will he fix the economy in four years?
Maybe. But probably not.
Will every single American have health care and a job in four years?
I'm not holding my breath.
But he's planted some pretty powerful seeds and now it's up to US as AMERICANS to help them grow. That's probably a lame metaphor. My poetry teacher would underline it and write, "cliche!" but you get my point.


However.
I'm certainly not feeling all peaches and roses at the moment.
Proposition 8 passed in California.
So my elation is mixed with some serious heartbreak.
Proposition 8 will put an AMENDMENT on California's CONSTITUTION that bans same-sex marriage.
Why is this a big deal?
Because California will put an amendment on their constitution LIMITING and DENYING rights. Forget what you think about marriage and the gays...that's SCARY.
It kills me that on some level America (even blue-state California) sees something so wrong with homosexuality that they have to amend their constitutions.
What the hell?!
I'm afraid if I start to write too much on this my post will turn super angry and that's not what I want it to be.
I am angry.
I am hurt.
The election of Obama and defeat of Prop 8 don't belong in the same election for me. My hope for America includes equality for all. My hope for America includes recognition of my love and of my rights-and of all gays, queers, lesbos, dykes, and queens.
Progress comes in baby steps I know: three steps forward and two steps backward. I know. I get it.
But it doesn't make it suck any less to be on the losing side of the progress that's not only close to your heart but a part of your very make-up and who you are.
I have enormous faith and hope in Obama and his presidency. He will do monumental things for this country and abroad and more importantly, he will inspire Americans to do monumental things for this country and abroad. I believe this and am thankful for this. An optimistic dude who believe in ideals and hope is my kind of dude.
And in believing this I guess I ultimately have to trust that the way I am will one day not be seen as less.
I have so much love in my life. I am lucky to be loved by so many wonderful people who would not care if I were purple with a third arm growing out of my forehead. I just cannot wait for the day when the rest of the country will catch up and understand, just as so many people in my life do, I'm just me. And that other gays are just who they are, same as anyone.
I'm not trying to stage a coop or overthrow traditional values or re-write the Bible. What I would like is to exist in the world with the same rights and opportunities as any one else without ever compromising who I am. Is that too much to ask?!

1 comment:

David A said...

um...we should talk about the purple and third arm thing...

=)