Addleheading For Life

Friday, December 19, 2008

Not A Profession, or Round Peg in A Square Hole

So, it seems appropriate to reflect upon this now that I'm done graduated:
What the hell do I do now?
And what the hell do I do with a degree in theatre? (The short and uncomplicated answer to that question is: "uh...theatre.")

So, I've had plenty of people over the years tell me that there's no future in theatre. I've had plenty of people tell me I've wasted my education, my money. I've had people call me straight up stupid for pursuing a degree and life in theatre and the arts. It comes with the territory, I get it. I'm not going to be a doctor and find a cure for AIDS or cancer. I'm not going to be a lawyer and litigate a super important civil rights case. I'm not going to become the new CEO of Ford and save it from destruction and in doing so, fix the economy and save America (sorry, Obama that's still on your list). So in some people's heads that makes me a waste of space. Unfortunately, in America there's not an overwhelming respect for artistry. I get it. We have quarterbacks to pay. I've accepted this about my country.
And while I feel no need to directly respond comments on my stupidity or lack of a future, while I feel no need to justify the reasons I do what I do, I will say: No job is "safe" anymore. You're better off just doing what you love. You'll be happier for it. And the world will be happier to have you in it (aka: I'm damn glad I didn't spend the last four years learning to be an investor)).
*Insert Awkward Dance Here*

Still not buying it? Still think I'll be on welfare and food stamps in three years?? Still think I'll be living under the interstate?
Ok.
Theatre, for me, is not a profession.
Please, allow me to explain.
I was listening to npr today and they were talking to Daniel Barenboim, who is a pretty solid dude. He's a famous pianist and conductor. He was the music director of the CSO (Chicago Symphony Orchestra) for a while. Not only his he a brilliant musician but he's also done much to bridge the divide between Jews and Arabs (like putting together an orchestra of Jewish/Arab musicians (that's a big deal)).
Anyway. So he was actually here in Chicago yesterday (I think) to play a concert and stopped by the local npr station to do an interview. I don't have a transcript in front of me, so I can't do exact quotes but, this dude said some interesting stuff that really struck me. He was talking about how his father taught him to play piano. And more than just teaching him to play, he taught him how to "think in music." He went on to say that for him, music is NOT a profession. It's a mode of existence, a way of thinking, a way of life, a way of operating.
This is how I think about my life and theatre in my life.
For me, theatre is not a profession.
Some people see the world in numbers. Some see it in music. Some see it molecules.
I see the world in theatre.
Now you're like, "What the crap does that mean, Amy?"
Well, I'll tell you.
I see the world in words, in language, in relationships (of people to people and people to environment). I see the world in story. I know how to problem solve creatively. I can think on my feet.
More than just learning how to "act", how to "direct", how to "do" theatre, I've also been trained in a manner of thinking. My brain works creatively, this is the way I was born. I've spent the last four years developing and training this aspect of myself. This brain training and skill set is thus applicable way beyond the boards of a stage. Trying to train my brain to do otherwise, trying to train my brain to think in numbers or molecules or litigation or logic would be like trying to shove a round peg through a square hole.
Could you force a round peg into a square hole?
Yeah.
But not without somehow damaging or altering the round peg or square hole.
And I don't know about you but a world full or critically injured round pegs and permanently maimed square holes, doesn't sound like a very happy place to me.

Do I know I'm an idealist?
Yup. It's a label I wear with pride.
Am I still slightly naive?
Duh, I'm 23 freakin' years old. I feel bad for people my age who aren't slightly naive.
Am I comfortable with these things?
Yeah.
Do I know exactly what I want to do or where I want to be in five years?
No.
Am I sure of who I am, who I want to be, the little I know, and the hefty infinite pile of things I don't know?
You're damn skippy.


...and if it ever ends up that somehow, by some strange twist of fate I do become the CEO of Ford (ha), I know I'll have climbed that ladder using my theatre brain and will run that company with my theatre brain.

I think my good pal Van Gogh said it best, "I consciously choose the dog's path through life. I shall be poor. I shall be a painter..."


Oh, speaking of dogs...THIS. There should be a law against that kind of cuteness. My heart can't take it. SHEESH.

No comments: