Addleheading For Life

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Things That Make Me Question My Sanity

So, I work in this box office and we have a TV that plays advertisements for our shows in the lobby. One of our shows running is a musical. So there's a clip of this musical in the little commercial thing. Being a musical it comes complete with, well, music. So I worked for like 11-ish hours today and the whole time this little commercial is playing over and over and over in the lobby. So I heard this little portion of music maybe every minute to minute and a half.

But it played just soft enough where I wasn't actually sure if I was hearing it or if it was just playing in my head.

Things like this make me question my sanity.

I found myself thinking about this one little portion of the song even when it wasn't playing.
I sung along when it was playing.
I hummed it when it wasn't playing.
When they started warm-ups in the theatre and weren't singing the song that played on the TV I got really confused.
I asked myself countless times today "Is that really playing? Or is it just in my head? I could have sworn I just heard that. Really it was just playing like a minute ago. Is this thing going to loop all day? Am I really hearing this?? Is it really playing or am I just hearing things in my head? Focus. Focus. Amy. Focus....Is it really playing? How do I know if I'm actually hearing something as opposed to just hearing it in my head? Did I remember to floss this morning?"

So anyway. This got me thinking. What are some other things that make me question my sanity? Here is some stuff I came up with:
a) When I'm out driving and space out for a sec and can't remember the last 5 minutes. This one is probably a little dangerous.
b) The way I will think about things in my head, not say anything, but make facial expressions in accordance to what is going on in my head (for example if I am thinking about telling someone off I will have an angry look. If I am thinking about eating ice cream I will have a wistful look. Ect. Ect. Ect.). I have to try hard not to do this in public because it scares people and will often startle them.
c) Sometimes I have conversations with people in my head, or imagine things that could have or may happen in my actual life and then later wonder if they actually took place.
d) How easily I make really weird, random stories up. Like when I told some kids I was raised by penguins. I sometimes worry that one day I will go completely over the edge and actually believe the really weird crap I make up. I worry one day I may actually honestly be convinced I was raised by penguins. And then I wonder if there are any medications that will help cure affliction and make me not believe the crazy shit I say. And then I think it would just be way more fun to not be medications.
e) The fact that I do all this crap without being on drugs or alcohol which sometimes is a factor in decreasing the sanity.
f) The way people look at me.

Anyway. So if I'm not already totally void of sanity. I'm pretty sure I'm well on my way. I'm already looking forward to getting really old. Cause I know I'm going to be nuts. I'm going to live in a creepy old house with lots of cats. I'm going to be the lady on the block all the kids are convinced is a witch. I'm going to sit on my front porch in a rocking chair in my underwear. And it will be glorious.


* * * * * *
QUOTE OF THE DAY
So in my livejournal I tried to post a "quote of the day" with every entry. I think I'm going to continue that for this blog. Basically the quote of the day is a quote from someone (it can be said directly to me, overheard, heard, or read) that I find particularly interesting or funny. Today's quote of the day comes to us from a good friend of mine, Sara. When Sara said the following she was pondering/reflecting upon a strange looking quarter that had some of the silver chipped away and was very old and ugly looking.
SARA: It looks like it's from the civil war. But really it's from the 1980s. I don't know where it came from or how it exists. I don't understand, Amy.

5 comments:

skinnylittleblonde said...

LOL, Maybe we are all just whacked?!
I hate it when I arrive home from work & the last thing I remember (physically) is getting in the car or stopping at some light!
Also, when someone says 'what's on your mind?' and you reply back,'why?' and they say 'well, that look on your face.'... it's always scary.
LOL, Great Blog!

Anne said...

You crack me up! I question my sanity when it's suddenly much later than it 'just' was. What the hell was i doing all that time? Or when i say something that i think is hilarious, and the person i said it to doesnt realize i'm joking.

skinnylittleblonde said...

I also question my sanity when I sit down to eat two pieces of something, say cheese toast at midnight. I finish eating the first one & then Whalla! The second one has disappeared on me! WTH?

But what really get me is when someone at work asks me why I am wearing two different shoes & I have to look down to see what the hell they are talking about...

Amy said...

Questioning our own sanity is something that unites all as human beings I think.

skinnylittleblonde said...

At least the insanely sane ones, Addlehead.

LOL, I tried to use your word at work today...I called a lady a Daddlehead! Somehow, it still made sense to my boss(whom I was speaking to).
I love it ... much more than 'toasty toaster head.' :)